1. Stock up on wood!
Nothing is nicer than snuggling up next to the fire on a cold winter night. If the woodburner is the only heating in for the house, get a good supply of wood so you won’t run out on the cold nights. Store the wood in a dry place to help it burn better.
2. Check the heat pump
There’s a filter screen inside the heat pump that needs to be cleaned every once in a while. Also make sure the outdoor unit is free of debris or anything that might constrict airflow. If you don’t think the heat pump is working properly contact your property manager.
3. Dry Washing outside or in the dryer
Avoid hanging washing inside your house. The moisture from the clothes then enters the home. Hang washing on the line in nice weather and use the dryer for those rainy days. If you want to install a dryer, first contact your property manager.
4. Use kitchen and bathroom extractor fans
While cooking turn the range hood fan on to remove any steam created from cooking. Turn the bathroom extractor fan on before you take a shower and leave it on for up to 30 to 45 minutes after. This will remove some of the moisture from the house.
5. Open the curtains and windows
Open the curtains and windows in the morning. With the curtains open the sun will help heat your home for free! Close them just before sunset to keep the cold night air out.
6. Wipe off condensation
You might see water on the inside of your windows in the morning. Take a clean dry cloth and wipe the condensation off. By removing this water you are keeping your home drier. And a dry home is easier to heat!
7. Use the DVS or HRV
If your home has a ventilation system or heat transfer system then it will help keep your home warm and dry. Make sure it’s turned on. It doesn’t cost much in power to run and it removes damp air from the home.
8. Remove mould
Mould likes damp areas. You may start to see mould in around the windows, walls, or ceilings. It’s really important to remove the mould as soon as you notice it. You can use bleach (a small cap full diluted in 1 litre of water) to remove mould. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse with warm soapy water. If you don’t have bleach you can use white vinegar to remove as well.
For more tips on keeping your family healthy and to learn more about keeping your home warm and dry visit the Ministry of Health website https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/healthy-living/warmer-drier-homes